28 March, 2007

Free Post #2

Spring Break

Week #2

So it was actually spring break, and i went to whistler Canada this year. After the many, tiresome hours of travel, from waiting in the security check lines, to collecting your luggage and waiting on the side of the road piled with bags counting the minutes until your driver will pick you up to take you to your hotel in LA for the night, to sitting in a small airplane watching the endless stretch of land beneath you as you fly along for hours, to the beautiful scenery of the drive between Vancouver to whistler, i finally made it there. It was my first time in the snow when it was snowing (i went to Switzerland and was in the snow there... but it was summer) and i was absolutely thrilled. I felt like a little child in a candy shop, i just stared out wide-eyed at everyone and everything. I have traveled a lot as a child but this is one environment i have not experienced before. And since i had never truly been in the snow, i didn't know how to ski. I arrived Sunday night and i went out right away, roaming the town with my friends, practically half of punahou goes to whistler during spring break.

The next morning, that annoying alarm clock work me up for a long 6 hour day of skiing. it was 4 in the morning Hawaii time and to top it off it was pouring with rain. I put on what seemed an endless amount of clothing, all which i thought was unnecessary because my aunt had got me my ski clothes and she tends to over exaggerate things. She had prepared me for a blizzard and that's what it looked like outside. About 50 pounds heavier with ski layers, cloths, and boots, i made my way to the gondola to meet my instructor, Simon. HE had a cheery face, light red hair and was from England. His accent was lovely and made me feel right at home. We went up to mid station, the learning point for new skiers on whistler mountain. There was terrible visibility and it was unbelievably cold. We were pelted with sleet and hail, it was rain that wanted to be snow but due to the weather, just covered the mountain in iciness. But at the end of a fun learning day Simon left me with some wise skiing words to bring up my hopes for the next days lesson, "you've survived the worse so it all gets better from here."

No comments: