01 March, 2007

personal essential question # 7

each cycle we are required to respond twice to our personal essential question. my original question or "i don't know" is 'i don't know what others truly think or feel about me.' this led me to wanting to better understand myself. From this question it leads me to "how do i express myself." this is an answerable question that helps me understand how i think of myself.

The way i express myself is reflected upon many things; the way i talk, dress, body language, writing and mannerisms. All of these things can be seen or heard, person to person, face to face. But in writing another element is added, misunderstanding. When you write something to be read, it is interpreted, correctly or not. This means you need to be extra clear to paint an image or thought in the readers mind, and if you want it to be the right image you need to be exact. So lets do a little test.

I am sitting in from on my computer adding to my blog posts. I am quite comfortable, drink in hand and my dog on my lap. I just got out of the shower and am dressed comfortably enjoying the cold.

If i were face to face with a person or talking to them, they would completely understand this, but of course, i am writing. I need to over express myself to a MAXIMUM and it is irritating. The lack of clarity and depth through our new technological advances from our progressing society. People will send a text message instead of picking up the phone to say something. Which is easier? Which takes less time? Which is able to convey something clearer? No, wait that doesn't matter . Its just not what we do in our lives these days. this takes a major impact upon us, and now more recently it is affecting our English class. we express ourselves through writing on a blog and not actions and words. we are becoming more technologically advanced, and will we eventually live in a cyber world, always sending a text message rather than making that phone call. Although, this may be good for the sole purpose of our writing, i mean we do write to use detail. To create that perfect description no matter how much work it takes.

But now if i were to OVER express myself and add all details, you may just get the same clarity in writing as you could in words.

I am sitting in a large, black leather, office chair. My laptop is sitting atop a mahogany wrap- around desk. I am adding a new post to my blog for English. To the left of my wide screen, Sony vio laptop, sits a round palm tree decorated coaster with a can of diet coke on top. I am just staring my homework after track practice, and the caffeine helps give me that extra urge to do my work. My hair is dark, curly, and wet, held back by a soft bright red headband, matching the outrigger canoe club logo on my over sized white tee shirt. I am wearing long velour light pink juicy sweats, which i might add are quite comfortable and my dog agrees. My ten and a half pound skinny papillon claimed his place on my lap. He loves the soft feeling and I'm sure he takes amusement in covering my in his white silky hair he sheds.

Now wouldn't you agree, to understand someone its a lot easier to just see them or talk to them. But that's not what our society is doing these days. ""Variety is the norm. Biology loves variation. Society hates it." (taken as a quote from a friends facebook. not cited.)

No comments: